Tuesday, April 28

Spring, I guess

I think I'll take a moment to say something about the weather. In San Diego, the weather was almost always gorgeous, sunny, and a comfortable temperature. The weather in NY is a different story. This weekend was hot. Summer hot at the end of April. I was hot but not as hot as the cats who spent the days fully stretched out on the cool bathroom title asleep.

Here is Cleo being hot on the couch.


















I feel like a Grinch when it comes to the hot weather. Everyone else here seems to LOOOOOOOOVE it. They are so happy to say goodbye to winter that they love the hot weather. I'm the only person who dares to say I don't like it. Really, the people here go absolutely bonkers over the warm weather. They go outside to the parks, sunbathe (ug), and basically find any excuse to be outdoors. It's trendy to be outside. I wonder how many people really like the weather and how many are liking in only because everyone else does. I like *nice* weather, not hot weather. There is a difference. If I can break a sweat just typing on the computer it's hot.

So last night, at the end of a hot day, I found myself out at Citi Field. I chose to go to an April game because I wanted to avoid the hot, sticky games of the summer. Now it seemed Mother Nature was going to ruin my carefully planned visit to the new home of the Mets. But wait! Luckily, to my delight, it quickly cooled off in the evening. The game was downright comfortable - and breezy - and I loved it. It was perfect - clear skies that turned pink, then purple, before fading away to black, a gentle breeze from the southwest, low humidity, and an air temp that was downright ideal.

I wrote about the food at Citi Field over on Avec Sucre, so click over there if you want all the details.

We only got one souvenir during our trip to Citi Field. Steve got the mini-helmet ice cream cup. He also has ice cream helmet cups from Fenway and PetCo, so he had to have another one for the collection. Besides, they make great hats for the cats. I attempted to buy a small souvenir CitiField Inaugural magnet but can you believe they didn't have magnets? They had patches and pins, but no magnets. Duh.

Citi Field is one nice ballpark. I liked our seats out on the Pepsi Porch (sect. 305 for us). The entire stadium has lots of standing room only space and the Pepsi Porch has a very large open area for standing or eating at belly-up tables. The food court also has belly-up tables and picnic tables but it's busy. We shared a belly-up table with four other people. We used this trip to scout out what we'd like to eat next time, where a good place to stand is, and where to sit. I'd be happy to sit out on the Pepsi Porch again but in the summer, there is no shade out there, and that would be a serious deterrent for me.

Coincidentally, the Mets did win last night. The first inning is where the damage was done - six runs, four of which came off a grand slam.

Not only is baseball in full swing, but so are the trees. They have finally burst forth with fresh green leaves and flowers. In the fall, I took a picture of the trees on our block that line the park. They were blazing yellow then. Little did I realize that those yellow leafed trees were cherry trees that are now heavy with fluffy pink blossoms. They are all around the park, dozens of them. It looks so nice.




No comments: